- Covid Relief Work for India
- Neasden Temple donates 24 tonnes of flour to The Felix Project
- Oxygen Concentrators Reach Patients at Rural Clinics and Health Centres in India
- Neasden Temple Sends Oxygen Concentrators and Emergency Medical Equipment to India
- Cycle Challenge Raises Over £600,000 for India’s Covid-19 Relief Work
- View All
His Holiness Pramukh Swami Maharaj
His Holiness Pramukh Swami Maharaj was the fifth spiritual successor of Bhagwan Swaminarayan and previous guru of BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha. He was the vision and inspiration behind BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, and under his leadership, BAPS grew into a dynamic spiritual organisation with over 3,850 centres worldwide.
His Holiness travelled throughout the world, dedicating his life to the well-being of others, fostering love, peace, harmony, righteousness, faith in God, and community service. His compassion for humanity, deep concern for its problems, and conscious efforts to alleviate them inspired international moral, social, educational, cultural and spiritual projects. His striking humility, wisdom and spirituality touched many world religious and national leaders, and inspired millions to lead a God-centred, moral life guided by Hindu principles. Driven by his quiet, undisturbed love for God, and with his genuine care and compassion, he is remembered as a “people’s guru”, reaching out to all, irrespective of age, class, colour or creed.
Pramukh Swami Maharaj was loved and respected as one of Hinduism’s great spiritual teachers. He lived by and preached the message: “In the joy of others lies our own.”
After passing away on 13 August 2016, Pramukh Swami Maharaj was succeeded by His Holiness Mahant Swami Maharaj.
- Birth: 7 December 1921; Magshar Sud 8, VS 1978
- Birthplace: Chansad, Gujarat
- Initiation: 10 January 1940; Posh Sud 1, VS 1996
- Guru: Brahmaswarup Shastriji Maharaj
- Spiritual Head begins: 23 January 1971; Posh Vad 11, VS 2027
- Towns and villages visited: Over 17,000
- Countries visited: Over 50
- Homes sanctified: Over 250,000
- Personally counselled and comforted: Over 810,000 people
- Letters read and replied: Over 700,000
- Discourses delivered: Over 20,000
- Mandirs built and consecrated: Over 1,100
- Sadhu disciples: Over 980
- Passing: 13 August 2016; Shravan Sud 10, VS 2072
- Spiritual Successor: His Holiness Mahant Swami Maharaj
To learn more about Pramukh Swami Maharaj, please visit pramukhswami.org.
To see a gallery of photos revealing Pramukh Swami Maharaj’s role in the Mandir’s creation, please click here.